Enrollment Information » FAQs




General Questions

  • What grade levels does Family Partnership Charter School serve?
    Kindergarten thru 12th grades
  • How much does it cost to enroll in Family Partnership Charter School?
    Family Partnership Charter School is a FREE, publicly-funded school.
  • How do I apply to enroll?
    Simply fill out our Student Interest Form and once submitted one of our enrollment specialists will contact you within 1 business day.

  • How long does it take to enroll?
    The amount of time it takes is different for each family. An enrollment specialist will contact you after we receive your Student Interest Form. The enrollment specialist will work with you as your advocate during the entire process of enrollment.

  • How will I know if you have received my application?
    When you submit your Student Interest Form online, you will receive an acknowledgment phone call from your enrollment specialist. Your enrollment specialist will guide you through the rest of the enrollment process.

  • Can I enroll now for the fall?
    Open enrollment for new students begins March 1

  • Is there a waiting list?
    Sometimes we do have a waiting list for specific programs. You may contact us to check for availability.

  • Will Family Partnership Charter School send for my student’s records when I send in the application?
    We will request your student’s official cumulative file after your student is enrolled as an active student. We must have a birth certificate, immunization records, and other required documents on file before records can be requested.

  • What if I lost my student’s birth certificate?
    Your previous school should have a copy in the official student cumulative file. If not, you can purchase a copy from the county office records department where your child was born.
  • How do I get my high school student’s transcript?
    Contact your child’s previous school and ask for an official transcript.

  • My student owes fines at the previous school and they will not release an official transcript. What do I do?
    All fines must be paid in full. Your previous school will not release an official transcript until fines are paid. This could affect your child’s ability to obtain his/her high school diploma.

  • After I enroll, can I take my student out of his/her current school immediately?
    No. Your child should remain enrolled in his/her current school until you are given a start date by the enrollment specialist or site coordinator.

  • If I have more questions prior to enrolling, whom do I call?
    You can contact the administration office at 805-348-3333, extension 1.

  • How do homeschool students stay socially active?
    We offer a wide variety of age-appropriate social activities for Home Study and Independent Study students, including field trips, events, activities, and Blended Learning Center classes. We also present opportunities that offer both academic and social experiences; such as our school-wide Science Fair.

  • Why is it important for my student to attend a WASC accredited school?
    Attending a WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) accredited school is extremely important, especially during the high school years. The credits your student earns at a WASC accredited school are transferable to traditional schools. Accredited institutions are evaluated extensively and conform to general expectations of performance and quality. Because accreditation requires continual self-evaluation, frequent reports, and periodic external review, you can rest assured that the educational quality of programs and services offered by the institution are current, reflect high standards of quality, and are offered with integrity.

  • Will help be available if needed?
    Yes! Your student's teacher will meet with you on a regular basis. He or she will help you develop a personalized learning plan, provide curriculum, and coordinate group educational activities. A center coordinator and special education resource teachers are available for additional support.  In addition, we have opportunities for parents to participate in the Parent Advisory Committee and the Science Fair Committee.  Some of our centers have site-specific parent groups such as the Montessori Parent Network affiliated with our Morro Bay Center.  Family Partnership has a curriculum library for providing your child with educational materials.

  • Can my advanced student work above and beyond grade level?
    Yes! Each student has a personalized learning plan that reflects the child’s interests, aptitudes, and abilities. There is no holding back those students who wish to dually enroll in community college courses and complete their high school graduation requirements early.

  • At what age is my child age-eligible for kindergarten?
    Charter schools that offer kindergarten must admit children at the beginning of the school year (or whenever they move into a district) if the child will be five years of age on or before September 1 (EC Section 48000[a]).

  • Is there an opportunity for my student to take online classes?
    Yes! We have a wide variety of online classes, as well as a distance learning option for high school students. Your child's teacher will work with you to determine what the appropriate educational options are for your child.

  • Why should I complete the Household Data Collection Form?
    Completion of the HDC Form may bring significant additional funds to the school site, as well as qualify students for individual benefits such as college application waivers, AP and IB testing fee waivers, and P-EBT benefits.


High School

  • My child is college-bound , do you offer college preparatory A-G classes?
    Yes! We offer A-G approved courses for California State University (CSU) and University of California (UC) eligibility.

  • Is Family Partnership Charter School WASC accredited?
    Yes! Family Partnership is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

  • How many credits does Family Partnership Charter School require to graduate?

  • If my student is credit deficient can he make up multiple credits?
    Our site coordinators and teachers are skilled in determining the best options to help your child achieve their educational goals.  They will review your child's high school transcript and consult with you on the rigor and timeline needed for making up deficient credits as part of your child's personalized learning plan.

  • Can my student take college courses while enrolled in Family Partnership Charter School?
    Yes! However, your student must meet specific requirements and have approval from their teacher and site coordinator.

  • Are Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses available?
    Yes, Family Partnership offers Career/Technical Pathways that require students to complete a defined course of study in a specified industry sector. To complete a CTE Pathway a student must complete an Introductory course, Concentrator courses, and a Capstone course plus aligned participation activities. All FPCS CTE courses use online curriculum to guide the student's learning. Teachers and students have direct access to course materials.


  • Can my student work while attending Family Partnership Charter School?
    Yes! Students may work if they are eligible for a work permit and continue to make satisfactory academic progress.

  • The graduation ceremony is very important to my student and our family. Will my student miss out on the ceremony if we homeschool?
    Family Partnership Charter School has a large graduation ceremony every year at the Elks Lodge in Santa Maria. Students wear the traditional cap and gown. We typically graduate about 75 students each year and often have over 500 family members, friends, and relatives attend the ceremony. It’s an exciting event!

  • Are high school student allowed to graduate early?
    We encourage students to work at a pace that is in line with their educational goals and fulfills state graduation requirements.  Early graduation is an option and is evaluated on a case-by-case basis in consultation with parents, students, site coordinator, teacher and the Executive Director.


Special Education

  • Can my student apply to Family Partnership Charter School if he/she has an active Individualized Education Program (IEP)?
    Yes! Family Partnership Special Education staff will meet with you to review the IEP and discuss our Special Education services.

  • What paperwork do I need when applying if my student has an active IEP?
    We ask that you provide a copy of your most recent IEP and psychological report.

  • If my student has an IEP, will services be provided at my home?
    Special Education services are provided at specific locations per your student’s IEP.